Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Review: Haunting Violet by Alyxandra Harvey

Title: Haunting Violet
Author: Alyxandra Harvey
Age Group: Young Adult
Release Date: July 4th 2011
Publishers: Bloomsbury
Available from: Amazon

Amazon UK
Book Depository
The Nile

I received this book from the publisher.


Violet Willoughby doesn't believe in ghosts, especially since her mother has worked as a fraudulent medium for a decade. Violet has taken part in enough of her mother's tricks to feel more than a little jaded about anyhting supernatural. The ghosts, however, believe in Violet and she's been seeing them everywhere. One ghost in particular needs Violet to use her emerging gift to solve her murder ...and prevent the ghost's twin sister from suffering the same fate.
------------
I love reading about Victorian England, and it is such fantastic setting for Haunting Violet. The scenes are rich and vibrant, and I felt transported in every scene. Violet has been an unwilling participant in her mothers fake seances. She is a true skeptic, and I enjoyed the irony behind her ability. I thought Violet handled the whole thing very well. Violet is a such a likable character. She's caring and is determined to help others no matter the cost to her own safety. Colin is an Irish orphan, and has lived with Violet and her mother since his own passed away. I really enjoyed Violet and Colin's relationship progression. Violet has come to see how grown up Colin is, and begins to notice a little bit more and more about him. You can't help but dislike Violet's mother, but you also feel compassion towards her. Mind you, she doesn't do much to make you feel for her. I was entertained throughout the entire book, with Violet's best friend Elizabeth providing some entertaining scenes. Haunting Violet is a murder mystery first and foremost, but the paranormal aspects add an extra layer. I loved the suspense and intrigue, and was constantly trying to guess who the murderer was. I haven't read any of Alyxandra's Drake Chronicles, but if they're anything like this, I'm adding them to my TBR.
4/5

1 comment:

  1. I loved this book too and have put the Drake Chronicles on my must read list now :-)

    ReplyDelete