Saturday, February 9, 2013

Review: Unravel Me by Tahereh Mafi

Title: Unravel Me (Shatter Me book 2)
Author: Tahereh Mafi
Age Group: Young Adult
Release Date: 5th February 2013
Publishers: Allen & Unwin
Available from: Amazon
The Book Depository
Source: Allen & Unwin 


Our lips touch and I know I'm going to split at the seams. He kisses me softly then strongly like he's lost me and he's found me and I'm slipping away and he's never going to let me go.

Juliette has escaped to Omega Point. A place for people like her - people with gifts - and it is also the headquarters of the rebel resistance.

She's finally free from the Reestablishment, free from their plan to use her as a weapon, and free to love Adam. But Juliette will never be free from her lethal touch. Or from Warner, who wants Juliette more than she ever thought possible.

Haunted by her past, terrified of her future, Juliette knows that in her present, she will have to make some life-changing choices.

Choices that may include choosing between her heart - and Adam's life.


________________

I absolutely adored Shatter Me so I knew I had to request Unravel Me. I sent an email off to Allen & Unwin begging them to let me review it (I think I even offered them my first born child) and was beyond ecstatic that they said yes! (Thank you Lara.)

It's always daunting reading a sequel and wondering whether or not it's going to live up to it's predecessor but Unravel Me blew me away. It definitely surpasses Shatter Me. Everything about this book was amazing. I love Tahereh's writing style; it is so unique and captivating. I fell head first into this book and couldn't surface until I had read it in its entirety. The wait was worth it.

Omega Point and The Reestablishment are on the brink of war, and Juliette is struggling to find her place among them. Unravel Me is more about her journey of self-discovery and acceptance of who she is; by the end of the book she has been reforged into someone stronger and braver than she could have thought possible. Mafi evokes such emotion with her prose, that I was constantly fighting tears (I'm a pansy, I admit it) and being knocked around by Juliette's revelations about herself, Adam, and Warner. I have to say I'm a HUGE Adam fan, but by the end of this book Warner had me in his grip and wasn't letting go. I had so many FEELS I thought I was going to explode with the intensity of it!

Adam and Juliette's relationship takes a turn down a road I was not expecting, the saying 'hitting a rough patch' is an understatement. Juliette has trust issue's piled so high it's amazing the poor girl can still function. I mean, who wouldn't when you could never let your guard down for fear of killing someone you love, and also having the added bonus of being locked up by the people who are supposed to love you the most. An then there's Warner who adds a whole new dynamic to their relationship. I'm not entirely sure if it's a love triangle or not. Even though I said I'm a Warner fan, I'm still not sure on whether or not he's right for Juliette.  

Unravel Me is an intense and compelling read; with danger lurking around every corner and sexy, passion filled pages I dare you to put it down. Your addiction for these characters and the world Mafi has created will grow until in seeps into your bones and you are so far into a book coma you'll wonder how you'll ever get out....although I for one hope I never do.
5/5



No comments:

Post a Comment