Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Sexual Content in YA - Sex and Teens by Erin


Hi everyone! I was very pleased when Jo-Anne asked me to write a guest post here on her blog concerning sex in YA books, not only because I love her blog but because I love talking about sexualized topics in YA books since we all know people are always talking about it! It’s controversial even today, but who doesn’t love a good debate on it? Anyway here’s my opinion on the topic:
When you think about mixing the themes of “sex” and “teens” together in a YA book, most people would either cringe at the thought of it, giggle and blush like a schoolgirl because it’s such a ‘taboo’ subject (I know how rude of me to even mention it now!) or say it’s just not appropriate. Period. Parents especially, I find, believe their teen readers should not have to be subjected to sex at all (I do understand why though!) but the thing is and even with me not being a parent myself . . . sex is REAL. It’s happening. How do you think you and me were made? By magic?
But with so many opinions on sex in YA books, I know we would probably all disagree with each other from time to time, but for me personally I’m totally fine it. Adult books, on the other, are a completely different story and are for a completely different audience. And we know it too. But since I’ve read many YA books that have dealt with sex in general (even in the most innocent way), I still find it give us readers a far more realistic approach to teen life and it’s just . . . normal especially for me since I’ve known people in high school who have already had sex. Again it’s normal. So while I do understand the ramifications of ‘sex’ being talked about and so openly too in a YA book, but just because a teen in a book is having sex doesn’t mean the teenager reading the actual book will do the same thing if you get my meaning? Sex in books shouldn’t have to be shamed for what comes naturally to human nature, you know? We should embrace journeys of self-discovery no matter what form it comes in . . . even in YA books.
But look, in the end what I’m really trying to say is, whether people like it or not, sex is everywhere! It’s a scary topic for just about anyone, but believe me teens are far more aware of sex nowadays (more than you will ever know) and quite frankly why hide sex in YA books? The YA genre IS for teens after all and we’re going to know about sex eventually anyway. We need to know these things! Even adults read YA, so what's the problem? I mean sure, I will admit that some books are read by a younger audience (sex may be considered a little too extreme for under 16-year-olds and so on) and some books perhaps put sexualized themes in a bad light at times, but whether it’s in fiction or on our television screens or in our magazines, sex and other related themes to it will always be there and is . . . well . . . here to stay. YA books are here to educate us, so why not let it and decide for yourself?
Check out Erin's cool blog Tales of the Inner Book Fanatic.

No comments:

Post a Comment